Continuing Education Course
In order to qualify for license renewal or reinstatement, every individual renewing their license as a broker of record, broker-salesperson or salesperson must satisfy at least ONE of the below CE requirements (those renewing as referral agents do not need CE):
– Salespersons initially licensed in the SECOND year of the NJ real estate license term shall not be required to fulfill any continuing education to renew their license upon the conclusion of that license term. (i.e., a licensee who obtains their license after
– Salespersons initially licensed in the FIRST year of the NJ real estate license term ARE REQUIRED to complete CE requirements in order to renew their license for the next term (i.e., a licensee who obtains their license before July 1, 2014 will be required to complete CE requirements to renew their license for the term beginning July 1, 2015).
|Real estate salespersons, broker-salespersons and brokers are required to complete 12 hours of CE per license term in order to renew their license for the next license term. See N.J.A.C. 11:5-12.3(a). At least six of the 12 hours must be in the following core topics. See N.J.A.C. 11:5-12.4(a)1-8 and 11:5-12.4(c):
|The following are approved as topics for elective courses. See N.J.A.C. 11:5-12.13(a)1-9.
|Waivers from CE requirements may be granted either in whole or in part for:
Licensees granted a waiver from CE requirements (with the exception of those for active duty military service), will have to make up the waived core course(s) missed in the next license term in addition to all of the credits required for that license term as a condition of license renewal for the license term following when the waiver was issued. (For example, if six core credits were waived, a licensee will have to complete a total of 18 in the next license term.) See N.J.A.C. 11:5-12.5(f).
Any waived elective courses will not have to be completed by a real estate licensee. See N.J.A.C. 11:5-12.5(g).
What are the requirements?
In order to qualify for license renewal at the end of every 2 year licensing period, you must complete the Continuing Education requirement for that renewal period. Please be aware that it will take approximately 10 business days for the confirmation of your completed continuing education to be transferred from the school to the testing vendor to the Real Estate Commission.
WHETHER OR NOT YOU HAVE COMPLETED YOUR CONTINUING EDUCATION, if NJDOBI does not have the confirmation in time for your broker to renew your license by June 30th of the renewing year, your license will be expired, and you will need to have your license reinstated showing a break in service as of July 1st of that year till your license reinstatement date. All necessary reinstatement fees will apply.
- Each licensee must take a total of 12 credits
- At least 6 of the 12 credits must be obtained in courses within the “core topics”.
- The 6 core credits shall include at least 2 credit hours on ethics.
- The remaining 6 credits can be “electives” or core.
- The Notice of Proposal and the Notice of Adoption must be read together to see the complete rules as finally adopted.