Q: What does it take to become a licensed Real Estate Salesperson in the State of NJ?
- Be a citizen of the United States or a legal resident thereof.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a high school education or equivalency.
- Be of good moral character
- Complete a 75 hour pre-licensing course at an approved school.
- Pass both the school and the state pre-licensing exams.
Q: What are the course requirements?
- Students must attend 80% of the 75 hours in order to sit for the school exam.
- Make up class options are available for up to 1 year and test retakes are an option. (See School Policies and Procedures).
- Students must successfully pass the school exam with a 70% score or higher in order to move on and sit for the state exam.
Q: What is the process for taking the state exam?
- Students will be able to register online for the state exam through PSI once the school has submitted their name having successfully passed the school test. Students will pick a date and location to sit for the state exam. Students must score a 70% or higher in order to pass the state exam. Students may retake the state exam if needed, and may come back to the school to sit in on other available classes.
Q: What do I do after I pass the state test?
- Students must complete a fingerprinting process through Morphotrack.
Q: How do I go about getting a working for a Real Estate Brokerage?
- Newly licensed agents are independent contractors and may interview to work at any real estate company in the State of NJ.
Q: What is the difference between a Salesperson and a Broker in the Real Estate industry?
- If you are looking for a career in the Real Estate business, you need to start as a licensed Real Estate salesperson, often referred to as a real estate agent or sales associate. Every salesperson in the State of NJ must work under a licensed Real Estate Broker of Record. It is not necessary to become a Broker to practice real estate in NJ. Salespeople who wish to become a Broker must successfully complete the following additional requirements:
- Have been continually licensed and employed on a full-time basis as a NJ real estate salesperson for 3 years immediately preceding an application.
- Complete the course requirements:
- 90 hour General Broker’s Course
- 30 hour Agency and Ethics Course
- 30 hour Office Management Course
- Pass the NJ State Broker’s Licensing exam.